1.7.0 beta 1 tagged and ready to test

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Nov 30 02:15:28 PST 2008

Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 02:38:02AM +1100, Joshua Root said:
>> Anders F Björklund wrote:
>>> And it probably needs a MacPorts-1.7.0-beta1.dmg disk image
>>> made to see any real (i.e. end user) beta testing, though ?
>>
>> @jmpp: I don't see any tarballs or dmgs for older rc/beta
>> releases. Did
>> they never exist, or are they kept somewhere I'm not looking?
>
> I checked and as far as I could tell, dmg's have always only been
> released
> when a version was finalized; that's why I did this the same way,
> with the
> svn tag only for now.

Some of the earlier "unofficial" tarballs are in
http://trac.macports.org/browser/distfiles/MacPorts/

But QA testing packagings should go somewhere else,
to clearly separate from the "release" versions... ?

> Though, given Anders' error, maybe we should add a step into the
> ReleaseProcess that at least a dmg should be built before tagging,
> to test
> for such things?

Judging from MacPorts 1.6.0 dmg, probably a good idea.

That the MacPorts installation doesn't respect any
chroot/DESTDIR and requires admin/root privileges
shouldn't stop the release, though, as it's mostly
something "wrong" and can be worked around / lived with.

At least that was the way it has been handled earlier.

--anders