Creating a new port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 8 23:42:40 PDT 2008

On Oct 9, 2008, at 01:15, Gaspard Bucher wrote:

> I think you misunderstood my experiment. I am install ALL ports
> into /Applications/zena.app/opt instead of /opt. This should
> produce a drag&drop binary
> with all dependencies. (It's just an experiment to use macports as
> a way to produce a binary package).

Sorry, yes, I did misunderstand.

I don't think your plan is a good idea.

MacPorts is designed for users to install software on their machines.
It is not designed to be used by application developers to distribute
their own software.

Software installed with MacPorts is largely not relocatable. That
means if you install in the prefix /Applications/zena.app/opt, that
prefix is hardcoded into everything you build. Mac users expect to be
able to rename their applications or put them in a place other than /
Applications ($HOME/Applications is a common alternative choice), but
they would not be able to do so if your app needs to use a MacPorts
installation that's inside the app's bundle.

> For the "zena" port itself, I will not need to install any
> application (just a script in /$prefix/local/bin).

The default MacPorts prefix is "/opt/local" (not "opt") thus your
script would be in ${prefix}/bin.

P.S: Please remember to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too,
not just to me.