BBEdit language module for Portfiles

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Thu Oct 23 08:27:43 PDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 6:10 AM, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> On 21/ott/08, at 23:55, Frank Schima wrote:
>
>> Improvements are welcome. I hope others will find it as helpful as
>> it is for me. Please let me know if this is useful to others and I
>> will continue to post my updates to the ticket.
>
> I noticed a weird behaviour with portfile that contains a double
> quoted string with escaped quotes.
> For example luarocks Portfile has \"rocks\" in long_description, the
> first \" is interpreted as a string opening but the second is
> considered an escaped quote inside a regular string thus making the
> whole following content of the file commented.
>
> I'm not even sure if long_description need to have escaped string at
> all.
> The language-module-side solution is removing the "Escape Char in
> Strings 2" key, I'm not sure if this could be an issue.

The gimp port has the problem too. The problem with that fix is that
it is legitimate to escape a double quote in strings. So that will
"break" syntax coloring in other ports. Really the issue is that the
long_description is itself a string but is not quoted as such. I
tested changing the bacula port (a port I manage) and added double
quotes around the long_description [1] and it seems to cause no
problems and will fix the improper syntax coloring issue you noticed.

So I think the proper fix is to change the affected ports by adding
double quotes around the long_description. Does anyone see any
problems with doing that?

[1] <http://trac.macports.org/changeset/41108>

Cheers!
Frank