dummy package for new portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 30 12:32:33 PDT 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 14:19, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> I'm starting a new portfile and, as always, I'd like to have an
> empty scratch portfile to start with.
>
> Usually I copy a previous portfile or the example from the Guide so
> this led me to think if we could have a port named "dummy" or
> "portfile-dummy" as file skeleton with all variables, maybe commented.
> This could speed up new port writing, what do you think?
>
> I'm aware that probably people just made their own templates in
> whatever editor they use, I was wondering if we could have a port
> option for this.

If we were to do this, we would need, at least, one dummy that does
not use a portgroup, and one dummy per portgroup. (A port that uses
the xcode portgroup, for example, would be rather different from one
that doesn't use a portgroup, or from one that uses one of the python
portgroups.)

When I make a new port I suppose I end up going to one of my existing
ports, copying parts of it, and modifying. "port lint" can tell you
if you've forgotten something important.