[MacPorts] #19110: gdb: Malformed receipt

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 1 14:44:49 PDT 2009

As this is a totally different issue now from what was initially in the
ticket, I am going to move the discussion to the list.

On 2009-04-01 23:32, MacPorts wrote:
> #19110: gdb: Malformed receipt
> -----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  dweber@…               |       Owner:  dweber@…
>      Type:  defect                 |      Status:  assigned
>
> Comment(by dweber@…):
>
>  I removed all the \n and \t characters from the long_description.  The
>  port still fails to install, ie:
>  {{{
>  --->  Fetching gdb
>  --->  Attempting to fetch gdb-6.8.tar.bz2 from
>  http://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/gdb
>  --->  Verifying checksum(s) for gdb
>  --->  Extracting gdb
>  --->  Configuring gdb
>  --->  Building gdb
>  --->  Staging gdb into destroot
>  Warning: violation by /opt/local/info
>  Warning: gdb violates the layout of the ports-filesystems!
>  Warning: Please fix or indicate this misbehavior (if it is intended), it
>  will be an error in future releases!

Tell the port not to use ${prefix}/info, but ${prefix}/share/info.
Usually with a configure flag --infodir=${prefix}/share/info.

>  --->  Installing gdb @6.8_0
>  --->  Activating gdb @6.8_0
>  Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
>  /opt/local/lib/libiberty.a is being used by the active binutils port.
>  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate gdb' to force
>  the activation.
>  Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

The error message is pretty clear what happens. Both binutils and gdb
want to install the same file.

Also, you would probably have to re-create some of the patches available
from Apple at [1] for this gdb version to get it fully functional.

Rainer

[1] http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.6/gdb-768/
(requires Apple ID)