python path configuration

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Tue Apr 7 12:57:02 PDT 2009

I am doing some manual testing of the build and install for VTK 5.4, which
has python wrapping.  In the course of this testing, I've stumbled across an
installation issue with python 2.6.  I can't proceed without knowing more
about this should be handled within macports.  Any advice and pointers to
more information would be really handy!

FYI
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#custom-installation-locations

I was pointed to this link during a manual installation of VTK 5.4 (with
python wrapping), ie:

-- Installing: /opt/local/bin/vtkpython
running cd "/Users/dweber/src/kitware/VTK_build/Wrapping/Python" &&
/opt/local/bin/python2.6 setup.py install --prefix="/opt/local"  2>&1
running install
Checking .pth file support in /opt/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
-E -c pass
TEST FAILED: /opt/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ does NOT support .pth
files
error: bad install directory or PYTHONPATH

You are attempting to install a package to a directory that is not
on PYTHONPATH and which Python does not read ".pth" files from.  The
installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    /opt/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

and your PYTHONPATH environment variable currently contains:

    ''

Here are some of your options for correcting the problem:

* You can choose a different installation directory, i.e., one that is
  on PYTHONPATH or supports .pth files

* You can add the installation directory to the PYTHONPATH environment
  variable.  (It must then also be on PYTHONPATH whenever you run
  Python and want to use the package(s) you are installing.)

* You can set up the installation directory to support ".pth" files by
  using one of the approaches described here:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html#custom-installation-locations

Please make the appropriate changes for your system and try again.