python path configuration

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Apr 7 13:38:35 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:57:02PM -0700, Darren Weber said:
> I am doing some manual testing of the build and install for VTK 5.4, which
> has python wrapping.  In the course of this testing, I've stumbled across an
> installation issue with python 2.6.  I can't proceed without knowing more
> about this should be handled within macports.  Any advice and pointers to
> more information would be really handy!

Try setting PYTHONPATH to python.prefix (which is defined in the python
groups), ${frameworks_dir}/Python.framework/Versions/${python.branch} (where
python.branch would be 2.6 in this case).  So something like

configure.env PYTHONPATH="${frameworks_dir}/Python.framework/Versions/2.6"

Since there is no ${prefix}/lib/python2.6 and hence no site-packages under
that, if you can't specify the python prefix separately, using PYTHONPATH
seems like it may work.  And in case anyone asks, using a symlink in
${prefix}/lib for python2.6 won't work or we'll run into the python25 issue
of 'not a directory'.

Bryan

[...]