[49158] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 8 18:44:07 PDT 2009

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
> Rainer Müller <raimue at ...> writes:
>
>> By the way, what is the current status of muniversal? I see you are
>> converting more and more ports to use it. Is it ready yet to be
>> integrated into base?
>
> I have already attempted to create some patches to be incorporated
> into the base.
> One stumbling block is my unfamiliarity with the base code, so the
> patches are not very good yet.

No problem if you are not in the know of base code. That is most
probably the same for a lot of people ;-) And I don't claim to know
everything in base myself either. I only learned over time how internals
work.

Also, for myself I just never looked at the code in muniversal. But
basically it is running extract/patch/configure/build for each
architecture in a different work directory, right?

I would introduce a new merge target in port1.0 which does the actual
merging. Targets can declare dependency on other targets, which is
basically how it all links together. So this merge target just needs to
depend on multiple appropriate extract/patch/configure/build targets.
But running targets multiple times is currently not done anywhere else
in the base code. So we need something to distinguish between them and
figure out a way how to pass them special options, e.g. the architecture
and working directory.

Rainer