[49158] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Apr 9 04:24:16 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I still think rather than devote a lot of energy to this mechanism,
> we should instead focus on building binaries, and let the server
> merge them together -- or even let the user download both the powerpc
> and intel binaries and have the user's macports merge them. Either
> way, we wouldn't have to worry about figuring out how to let the
> phases run multiple times, because the server would just run "port
> install" multiple times instead.

This sounds quite complicated. How would that work with the current
image mode? Do merge on activate and split on deactivate?

Are you planning to let the user install additional architectures time
by time? Which would mean we need to track dependencies per
architecture. Also we would need to ensure that no two different
versions are merged together.

Rainer