[spam probable] [50018] php5-eaccelerator Lint Report

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 22 21:12:37 PDT 2009

On Apr 22, 2009, at 16:38, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Olivier Le Floch wrote:
>>
>>> Begin forwarded message:

>> To chime in here, why are we validating the secondary categories
>> at all?
>
> Sorry, I was wrong here as this was an error about a primary category.
>
> We are only validating primary categories, secondary categories can
> already be chosen freely.

Right. In this revision, the port was moved to the newly-created php
primary category.

> But we check the primary category against a hardcoded list of valid
> categories and we also check the parent directory of the port
> directory.
> To pass both tests, this list will always have to reflect the current
> existing category directories in the repository. Therefore it is quite
> useless.

Which part is useless? The separately-maintained list of valid
categories in portlint.tcl? I've thought that too...

Then again, you might be developing a port in a separate directory,
say /Users/yourname/someport. In that case, port lint would complain
that "yourname" is not the same as the primary category declared in
the port, which is true, and you'd realize why lint is saying that
and ignore it. If we removed the list of valid categories from
portlint.tcl, then port lint wouldn't be able to detect if you had in
fact made a typo in your primary category name as listed in the
portfile. However, one could argue that this is a rare case and that
we don't need to handle it. It would certainly simplify things to
remove the list of categories from portlint.tcl, and leave it to just
check that the category directory name matches the primary category
declared in the portfile.