[spam probable] [50018] php5-eaccelerator Lint Report

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Apr 24 06:32:08 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 16:38, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> But we check the primary category against a hardcoded list of valid
>> categories and we also check the parent directory of the port
>> directory.
>> To pass both tests, this list will always have to reflect the current
>> existing category directories in the repository. Therefore it is quite
>> useless.
>
> Which part is useless? The separately-maintained list of valid
> categories in portlint.tcl? I've thought that too...

Yes, I mean the lint_categories list in portlint.tcl.

> Then again, you might be developing a port in a separate directory,
> say /Users/yourname/someport. In that case, port lint would complain
> that "yourname" is not the same as the primary category declared in
> the port, which is true, and you'd realize why lint is saying that
> and ignore it. If we removed the list of valid categories from
> portlint.tcl, then port lint wouldn't be able to detect if you had in
> fact made a typo in your primary category name as listed in the
> portfile. However, one could argue that this is a rare case and that
> we don't need to handle it. It would certainly simplify things to
> remove the list of categories from portlint.tcl, and leave it to just
> check that the category directory name matches the primary category
> declared in the portfile.

I think this is a rare case. If we remove the list, 'port lint' would
still print a message if the parent directory of the port directory does
not match the primary category. This check should be good enough to find
typos as it is moved into the repository.

Rainer