[50047] trunk/dports/x11/rox-filer/Portfile

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Apr 23 14:22:35 PDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 10:47, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>>> add explicit x11 dependencies (#19406)
>>
>> gtk2 pulls these in already as long as they're using an x11 gtk2...
>> and if they're using a native gtk2, they're equally screwed.
>
> User said he was "missing the X development libraries,
> which aren't there as dependancies" (and they weren't)

Right, but my point is "why?"

He should have them since gtk2 depends on them.

> Since rox-filer uses both X11 and GTK+, it was fair to
> assume that it would list both as direct dependencies ?

Sure, do whatever you want, but I prefer not to be verbose when I can
let other ports pull in the dependencies... but that's a style issue
and not really the point here.

> So just having a gtk2 +quartz would not be enough, nope.
> afaik, "ROX" even means "RISC OS on X" (i.e. as in X11)

Right, which is my point.  If gtk2 didn't pull in the X11 libs, then
that means that he's got a gtk2+quartz install... which means that ROX
is not going to work for him because it needs gtk2 for x11.

So either the user had a +quartz gtk2 (in which case he can't use rox)
or he has some other problem that adding the X11 dependencies to rox
won't solve (because they're redundant).

It's also possible that he just hasn't done a 'sudo port -v upgrade'
in a very long time and thus has an outdated gtk2 that uses the system
X11 libs.