+system_x11 to bite the dust

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Wed Apr 29 13:57:54 PDT 2009

Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at ...> writes:

> So, the MacPorts-provided X11 libs should be regression free over what
> is installed in any x11prefix.  The hardware-rendering libGL was the
> last nail, and that's been fairly stable for the past 1-2 months.
>
> Can we successfully nuke the backwards-compatible system_x11 variant
> now?  If any cares to answer "no," then you also need to explain why,
> so I can make sure to address your concerns before pulling the plug.
>
> "no, I like not using MP's X11 libs" is not a valid reason.

Isn't there a case to be made for hedging our bets?

I think it's safe to say that not too long ago, the MacPorts X11 libraries
were a mess of broken ports and inconsistent dependencies.
Thanks to the hard work of a select few, this is no longer the case.
If bit rot should ever creep into X11 again, I would not have a clue
how to fix it.

Because X11 is complicated but essential, shouldn't we keep the option
of reverting to the Apple X11?

My apologies if this sounds too much like the invalid
"no, I like not using MP's X11 libs" reason.

-Marcus