Where to start: pointers? links? tickets?

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sat Aug 8 13:15:38 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 08:58:51AM +0200, Giorgio Valoti said:
> Hi all,
> maybe it’s a naive question, don’t know.
>
> I’d like to contribute some more to this project, so I thought I
> could browse the tickets and begin to fix some easy ones but I
> thought maybe it’s better to ask here.
>
> So, could someone tell me where could I start? Thanks again for your
> time.

Definitely an easier way to get started; the simplest tickets to handle to
begin with would be simple version updates, either to nomaintainer ports or
submitted by maintainers who don't have commit access.  These usually just
entail applying the patch from the ticket, then testing the port to verify
it installs fine.  If it supports 'port test' you can run that as well.  The
major issue with this is you'll need to have quite a few ports installed as
dependencies for some things...

You can have a look at

<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets>

to find such tickets.  Also good to start with are the new port submissions,
though they tend to need more testing than updates at times.

Bryan