Batch replace for livecheck.type and svn.revision

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Aug 31 17:09:53 PDT 2009

On 2009-08-31 16:55 , David Evans wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Rather than make everyone update this themselves, which will take
>> forever, I propose I do a batch find and replace in all ports,
>> changing livecheck.check to livecheck.type and svn.tag to
>> svn.revision. This will make these ports incompatible with MacPorts
>> 1.7.1 and earlier. Any objections? Any other batch changes I could be
>> making now that MacPorts 1.8.0 is out?

I am totally in favor of a batch change, but I would like to give users
a few days of grace period for updating their MacPorts installations.
Let's say a week is enough? That would be next friday.

No other options have been deprecated, so these two would be the only
candidates for the batch replace.

> +1 for the batch change but I suggest that a message be sent to
> macport-users and something appropriate added on the  web site/wiki
> to explain the resultant error on 1.7.1 and the need to upgrade to 1.8.0
> to try and head off the inevitable rash of bug reports that
> will arise.

That's exactly the reason why I want that delay of a few days :-)

Other than that, we could of course also add a notice to ProblemHotlist
(or FAQ) explaining why 1.7.1 does not understand 'livecheck.type'.

Rainer