Batch replace for livecheck.type and svn.revision

David Evans devans at macports.org
Mon Aug 31 09:29:27 PDT 2009

>> Probably.
>
> And there is no advantage to doing so, over keeping it at
> "livecheck.check regex", which we're not going to do, since the point
> of renaming this option was to make it more consistent with other
> similar options elsewhere in MacPorts.
>
>> So I'm back to make the change and promote everyone to update to
>> 1.8.0 ASAP.
>
> We always promote everyone to update to every release of MacPorts
> ASAP. We've always had a habit of updating portfiles very quickly
> after a MacPorts release to include features only that version of
> MacPorts understands (for better or for worse). MacPorts base is
> closely tied to the portfiles. If you want to keep using an old
> MacPorts base, you can do so, but must then also use old versions of
> portfiles, and we're probably not going to help you with it.

What I would advocate would be to make an announcement that in <pick
your grace period> Portfiles will be updated globally to use 1.8.0 key words
that are incompatible with 1.7.1 and that users need to update to 1.8.0
before then to avoid problems.

This is much more user friendly than just doing it and let them find out
on their own (IMHO of course).

Dave