Suggestion on auto ticket filing

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Tue Dec 1 17:59:54 PST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Dan Ports wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:13:58PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Before we talk about technically how to auto-submit tickets, we
>> should make sure that's what we want. Personally, I think the user
>> needs to have some say in whether a ticket gets filed.
>
> Personally, I'd be surprised if auto-submitted tickets proved useful
> at
> all. I would expect significant numbers of duplicates, invalid bugs,
> or
> bug reports for stale ports trees. I imagine that before too long
> people would stop looking at the automatic submissions, and they might
> even deter users from bothering to manually submit reports.

I could see this being the outcome.

> On the other hand, automatically gathering up relevant information
> (system configurations, failure logs, etc) to attach to a report
> sounds
> quite handy.

Kept away from Trac or whatever were using. Dump it in a db that port
maintainers can query.

> Maybe it would help to direct the user to a list of existing tickets
> that theirs might be duplicating? The existing trac report of open
> tickets
> against the same port would do nicely. I think I remember Ubuntu doing
> something similar for new ticket submissions.

And let them star the ticket that sounds like their issue or open a
new one. And give port maintainers/users the ability to get star
counts for their ports of interest.

// Brad