/opt/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib, binutils, llvm-gcc42

Dan Ports dports at ambulatoryclam.net
Wed Dec 16 16:43:22 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 04:10:50PM -0800, Darren Weber wrote:
> Is it possible and desirable to have a single port to control the
> libiberty.a and have all other ports depend on it?  (This probably requires
> ways to switch off the build of libiberty.a in the config for various ports
> like binutils, gcc stuff, etc.).

I don't think so -- as far as I can tell, and for reasons I have never quite
grasped, libiberty isn't distributed separately, or even really
versioned; its source is directly included in the gcc sources.

I think the right solution here is for each port to install its own
version of libiberty in a separate place. It look like some ports
already do this (gcc43, for one). Maybe the actual problem you're
running into is that llvm-gcc doesn't do this?

It's possible that it isn't even necessary to install libiberty.a in
the first place. (isn't it typically linked in to gcc and friends
statically?) But I'm less sure about this.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports                              <dports at ambulatoryclam.net>
Research Henchman