/opt/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib, binutils, llvm-gcc42

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 16 19:04:13 PST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 18:43, Dan Ports wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 04:10:50PM -0800, Darren Weber wrote:
>> Is it possible and desirable to have a single port to control the
>> libiberty.a and have all other ports depend on it?

I don't believe it's desirable.

>> (This probably requires
>> ways to switch off the build of libiberty.a in the config for various ports
>> like binutils, gcc stuff, etc.).
>
> I don't think so -- as far as I can tell, and for reasons I have never quite
> grasped, libiberty isn't distributed separately, or even really
> versioned; its source is directly included in the gcc sources.
>
> I think the right solution here is for each port to install its own
> version of libiberty in a separate place. It look like some ports
> already do this (gcc43, for one). Maybe the actual problem you're
> running into is that llvm-gcc doesn't do this?
>
> It's possible that it isn't even necessary to install libiberty.a in
> the first place. (isn't it typically linked in to gcc and friends
> statically?) But I'm less sure about this.

I filed the bug report about llvm-gcc42's /opt/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20889

Unfortunately the maintainer has not reacted to the problem.

My recommendation is to not install llvm-gcc42 until this issue is resolved. If anyone can assist in resolving this issue, it would be appreciated.