Debugging symbols?

J Smith dark.panda+macports at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 09:15:33 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Jeremy Huddleston
<jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:
> I just use configure.optflags in src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl:
>
> -default configure.optflags  {-O2}
> +default configure.optflags  {-ggdb3 -O0}
>
> We should probably let the optflags be customizable via macports.conf, but this works fine for me.

Aha, sweet, that's what I was looking for. Yeah, it would be pretty
cool if options like these (CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, etc.) were
available right in the main macports.conf file without having to dig
through TCL source or could be overridden via environment variables or
something. The trade-off might be Gentoo-style "my CFLAGS are better
than your CFLAGS" competitions and a possible increase in bug reports
and the like as people may accidentally break their builds by futzing
around too much with those types of settings, but I think that such
levels of customizations are one of the primary benefits of ports
systems since everything is built locally anyways.

Anyways, cheers, this will definitely come in handy. I'm going to look
into a segfault I'm experiencing with the gd2 library when using the
Ruby wrapper, and the partial stack trace was making things more
difficult than need be. Being able to set these flags will definitely
help.

Again, thanks and cheers!