Installing MacPorts on pure Darwin

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 1 13:36:34 PST 2009

On Feb 1, 2009, at 09:20, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:

> I would like to set up a dedicated box to manage MacPorts packages.
> Unfortunately I don't own a MacOsX computer.
>
> Can I install MacOsX on a pure Darwin platform?
> This is not explained on the http://guide.macports.org.
>
> But I can read most packages are pure "Darwin", so It may be implicit.

I assume you mean "Can I install MacPorts on pure Darwin?" The answer
is yes, but note that the name of the project was changed from
DarwinPorts to MacPorts some time ago to emphasize the fact that it
is designed for and tested on Mac OS X, not Darwin. Many ports should
work on Darwin, and if you find one that doesn't but should, please
file a ticket.

To install, I believe you will have to download the source and
compile it. There should be instructions for that in the FAQ.