Installing MacPorts on pure Darwin

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Feb 1 14:09:48 PST 2009

On Feb 1, 2009, at 13:36, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2009, at 09:20, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
>
>> I would like to set up a dedicated box to manage MacPorts packages.
>> Unfortunately I don't own a MacOsX computer.
>>
>> Can I install MacOsX on a pure Darwin platform?
>> This is not explained on the http://guide.macports.org.
>>
>> But I can read most packages are pure "Darwin", so It may be
>> implicit.
>
> I assume you mean "Can I install MacPorts on pure Darwin?" The
> answer is yes, but note that the name of the project was changed
> from DarwinPorts to MacPorts some time ago to emphasize the fact
> that it is designed for and tested on Mac OS X, not Darwin. Many
> ports should work on Darwin, and if you find one that doesn't but
> should, please file a ticket.

One such caveat will likely be X11.  The client libs and apps will
build, but xorg-server is just for building XQuartz (the "pure" darwin
DDX bitrotted and was punted out of xorg-server), so you'll probably
need to also install the XFree86 package to get an X11 server.  I have
no idea if it will work or not.