Various questions

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 04:10:38 PST 2009

>> Is there a beginners guide to making a commit for a single portfile?
>
> That's what the macports guide is for, mostly. It's quite a few things
> you have to watch for. Most important is an understand of installing
> software manually and remodel that in a mostly declarative fashion in Tcl.
> And than lots of diligence to make sure things really work and keep
> working. But once you have seen a couple of Portfiles you also see
> lots of recurring patterns.

Yes, I've read the guide. I'm referring to the "making a commit" bit. The
guide covers fetching the files, and how to make portfiles, but not how to
submit the changes. I guess it's obvious to someone who's familiar with
subversion, but I'm not.

As a Port prospective port maintainer, I've actually got some working
updates in a local source directory. I just don't know how to commit them.
Often, all that's required is an update of a version number and md5 hash. A
worked example in the guide would be really useful.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex