Various questions

C. Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 06:24:30 PST 2009

> Yes, I've read the guide. I'm referring to the "making a commit" bit. The
> guide covers fetching the files, and how to make portfiles, but not how to
> submit the changes. I guess it's obvious to someone who's familiar with
> subversion, but I'm not.

The first step is to move your configuration from the rsynced one to
one you check out from the mp svn. The command is

svn checkout http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports

Then you edit /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf so that the line ending
in [default], probably the last one points to the directory from the above
checkout.

>From that moment on, you should make your changes in this directory
tree. It carries the svn metadata used for tracking and committing
changes.

At this point you should a decent svn tutorial and learn about update,
add, remove,
revert, log, commit, and diff sub-commands. Those are the ones you will use
most of the time, and you need to know them quite good.

If you have a locally changed Portfile you can just copy it over to the
svn tree. From there you commit, make a diff/patch, etc.

> As a Port prospective port maintainer, I've actually got some working
> updates in a local source directory. I just don't know how to commit them.
> Often, all that's required is an update of a version number and md5 hash. A
> worked example in the guide would be really useful.

That's basically handling of svn and not mp specific, so that wuold not make
a whole lot of sense. Fortunately svn is in wide-spread use, and there are
many places to learn about it. E.g. here:

http://artis.imag.fr/~Xavier.Decoret/resources/svn/index.html

Florian

--
Florian Ebeling