patching in general

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Fri Feb 6 17:18:44 PST 2009

>On Feb 5, 2009, at 12:12, markd at macports.org wrote:
>
>> But then we could probably do with a lot of macros that we don't
>> have now.
>>  Things like portage has (dobin, dodoc, etc.) would be a higher
>> stage of
>> development that we may get to someday.
>
>Could you describe what these do? All I know about portage is that
>it's a package manager for Gentoo Linux, but I don't know how it
>works inside.

Hi Ryan,

Well I've never used Portage, but I have looked at their portfiles (emerge
or whatever they are called) sometimes in the past to check out how their
port authors did a given port, or to see if they had useful patches.  All
I can say is that I remember they have 'dodoc' and 'dobin' (seems like
they could've used better names), which I think installs the given files
into the standard doc and bin locations.  That's really all I know about
it.

Mark