patching in general

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Feb 6 17:48:31 PST 2009

markd at macports.org wrote:
> Well I've never used Portage, but I have looked at their portfiles (emerge
> or whatever they are called) sometimes in the past to check out how their
> port authors did a given port, or to see if they had useful patches.  All
> I can say is that I remember they have 'dodoc' and 'dobin' (seems like
> they could've used better names), which I think installs the given files
> into the standard doc and bin locations.  That's really all I know about
> it.

I don't know that much about ebuilds in portage in detail although I
already used it. If dobin and dodoc simply copy the file over without
additional logic, these would just be aliases for xinstall in our case:

dobin: xinstall -m 755 foo ${destroot}${prefix}/bin
dodoc: xinstall -m 644 foo ${destroot}${prefix}/share/doc/${name}

We could create such aliases if there is really a need for it. Most
ports simply use the 'make install' of the software anyway and we
already have a much more general approach with xinstall.

But if we are going to do it, I don't like these names do* very much, I
think xinstall-bin/xinstall-doc would be better. Do you think we need
something like this at all?

Rainer