[MacPorts] #18408: Cannot upgrade mercurial (macports wants to reinstall latest dependencies)

robert delius royar apple at frinabulax.org
Sat Feb 7 11:22:12 PST 2009

Sat, 7 Feb 2009 (12:13 -0600 UTC) Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2009, at 07:12, robert delius royar wrote:
>
>> By the way, I finally did a manual upgrade of the port (stepping through
>> each phase of the build and discovered that configure is not in the the
>> tarball for the port.  But macports calls it anyway. Stopping the build.
>> The prefix variable in the mercurial Makefile and setup.py is still set to
>> /usr/local (there are no patches).  I think the problem I am having is at a
>> lower level than the mercurial port, but the port itself does not appear to
>> be correct for the tarball being downloaded.
>
> Just a quick note to say mercurial @1.1.2_0 installs fine for me on Mac OS X
> 10.4 Intel.

It looks as though the only way I can get mercurial to upgrade is to
first uninstall mercurial, then uninstall python25, then install
mercurial which reinstalls python25.  I also had to manually delete the
receipt for mercurial in /opt/local/var/receipts otherwise the install
for mercurial would fail saying it was installed.  Is it possible that
there is something in 1.7.0 mp that has trouble with ports that use the
PortGroup directive *and* are on a direct installation?  I have other
ports that do not show these problems, but the perl5 ports are other
that I have seen this desire to reinstall (perl5 in that case).

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky