[MacPorts] #18408: Cannot upgrade mercurial (macports wants to reinstall latest dependencies)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 7 11:40:04 PST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 13:22, robert delius royar wrote:

> Sat, 7 Feb 2009 (12:13 -0600 UTC) Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 7, 2009, at 07:12, robert delius royar wrote:
>>
>>> By the way, I finally did a manual upgrade of the port (stepping
>>> through each phase of the build and discovered that configure is
>>> not in the the tarball for the port.  But macports calls it
>>> anyway. Stopping the build. The prefix variable in the mercurial
>>> Makefile and setup.py is still set to /usr/local (there are no
>>> patches).  I think the problem I am having is at a lower level
>>> than the mercurial port, but the port itself does not appear to
>>> be correct for the tarball being downloaded.
>>
>> Just a quick note to say mercurial @1.1.2_0 installs fine for me
>> on Mac OS X 10.4 Intel.
>
> It looks as though the only way I can get mercurial to upgrade is
> to first uninstall mercurial, then uninstall python25, then install
> mercurial which reinstalls python25.  I also had to manually delete
> the receipt for mercurial in /opt/local/var/receipts otherwise the
> install for mercurial would fail saying it was installed.  Is it
> possible that there is something in 1.7.0 mp that has trouble with
> ports that use the PortGroup directive *and* are on a direct
> installation?  I have other ports that do not show these problems,
> but the perl5 ports are other that I have seen this desire to
> reinstall (perl5 in that case).

I don't really understand the symptoms you are reporting.

I see in the debug log you attached to the ticket that receipts do
not exist for some of mercurial's dependencies:

DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: gettext
DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: libiconv
DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: python25
DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: zlib
DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: bzip2
DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: py25-zlib
DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: py25-hashlib
DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: py25-bz2

However, MacPorts then goes on to say that some of these are already
installed:

DEBUG: Skipping org.macports.main (libiconv) since this port is
already installed
DEBUG: Skipping org.macports.main (bzip2) since this port is already
installed

What is installed? Can you please show us the output of "port
installed"?