current libiconv port gets unnecessary upgrade, fails building

martin krastev blu.dark at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 20:19:53 PST 2009

Thank you, Bryan. Here are the details as you advised:

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Bryan Blackburn <blb at macports.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 10:30:02PM -0500, martin krastev said:
>> platform: powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0
>>
>> macports libiconv fails at build stage. Possibly garbled makefile:
>>
>> $ sudo port -u upgrade libiconv
>> Warning: Group file could not be located.
>> Warning: Group file could not be located.
>
> This sounds like either your ports tree is incomplete (libiconv uses the new
> group muniversal) or your sources.conf wasn't properly upgraded.  Does your
> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf file have a line like
>
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]
>
> or is the "[default]" missing?  If missing, add it.

It did not have it originally, but now it's been added. See for results below.

>> --->  Fetching libiconv
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libiconv
>> --->  Extracting libiconv
>> --->  Applying patches to libiconv
>> --->  Configuring libiconv
>> --->  Building libiconv with target all
>> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
>> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_libiconv/work/libiconv-1.12"
>> && make CC= -f Makefile.devel && make all " returned error 2
>> Command output: O lib/genaliases.c -o genaliases
>> make: O: Command not found
>
> What is the output from 'port version'?

$ port version
Warning: /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf source
'rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]' specifies
invalid flag 'default'
Version: 1.600

  libiconv @1.12_0+darwin_8 (active)

>> $ port list all
>> ..
>> libiconv                       @1.12           textproc/libiconv
>
> You can also use 'port info libiconv' for details on just that one port.

$ port info libiconv
Warning: /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf source
'rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]' specifies
invalid flag 'default'
Warning: Group file could not be located.
libiconv 1.12, Revision 2, textproc/libiconv (Variants: universal,
freebsd, linux, disable_utf8mac, disable_extra_encodings,
enable_cp932fix)
http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/

A character-set conversion library which implements the iconv() API
for dealing with unicode and other types of conversion.

Build Dependencies: gperf
Platforms: darwin freebsd linux
Maintainers: ryandesign at macports.org

>From the above, I suspect that my macports may be outdated - shall I