Ports recommending other ports

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa.public at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 02:58:12 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:04:48PM -0800, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> I also am not a fan of the plural form.
>
> In my applications I would probably use "recommendation"

This doesn't make much sense: "recommends" is not a plural noun.
That would be "recommendations".

Like "requires" and "depends", "recommends" is a verb (and one which
goes with *singular* nouns at that).

So the most consistent way to handle this (hypothetical) "recommends"
feature would be to use syntax similar to that of "depends": as if
in some sense, recommending is a weak form of depending.

Anyway, it might be somewhat premature to discuss such fine details. :-)