Webserver ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 12 20:54:11 PST 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 09:29, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> I thought /opt/local/apache2 was strange compared to where the
> majority of other ports park stuff.
>
> After dependancy management I think the big advantages of an
> excellent software manager (port) is the logical and consistent
> layout and nice config files to get you started.

We could consider totally rearranging the layout of apache2, apache20
and apache to better fit into the standard MacPorts directories.
However, at the moment I'm just concerned with making all the web
server ports use the same document root and cgi directory by default,
so that any port that requires a web server will know where to put
its files. That's the issue I'm currently facing as I make a port for
webdot.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18458

> I could use some guidance regarding logging.
>
> /var/log is outside prefix but I don't see Apple removing it. The
> postfix port appears to log to /var/log/mail unless I somehow
> mucked the install which is possible.
>
> Though /var/log is outside /opt/local is this an acceptable target
> for logs?

Using ${prefix}/var/log is recommended.

> Oh, and what if changes need to be made to /etc/sysctl.conf?
> I don't know that macosx 10.5 reads /etc/sysctl.conf anymore but
> the idea is still there.
> Oh, after looking I guess it does.
>
> What if you need to change kern.maxfilesperproc?

The ports postgresql8{0,1,2,3}-server output this message to the user:

To tweak your DBMS, consider increasing kern.sysv.shmmax\
		by adding an increased kern.sysv.shmmax .. to /etc/sysctl.conf

I don't see any other references to sysctl.conf in any ports. I'm not
really familiar with these kernel options and haven't had occasion to
need to change them myself so hopefully there will not be many ports
that need to recommend it.

> It wasn't my intention but it looks like I strayed from the subject:)

It happens :)