Webserver ports

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Thu Feb 12 22:54:12 PST 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2009, at 09:29, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> I thought /opt/local/apache2 was strange compared to where the
>> majority of other ports park stuff.
>>
>> After dependancy management I think the big advantages of an
>> excellent software manager (port) is the logical and consistent
>> layout and nice config files to get you started.
>
> We could consider totally rearranging the layout of apache2,
> apache20 and apache to better fit into the standard MacPorts
> directories. However, at the moment I'm just concerned with making
> all the web server ports use the same document root and cgi
> directory by default, so that any port that requires a web server
> will know where to put its files. That's the issue I'm currently
> facing as I make a port for webdot.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18458

That's pretty damn cool!
Have you used ming?

>> I could use some guidance regarding logging.
>>
>> /var/log is outside prefix but I don't see Apple removing it. The
>> postfix port appears to log to /var/log/mail unless I somehow
>> mucked the install which is possible.
>>
>> Though /var/log is outside /opt/local is this an acceptable target
>> for logs?
>
> Using ${prefix}/var/log is recommended.

Thanks, I'll use that then.

>> Oh, and what if changes need to be made to /etc/sysctl.conf?
>> I don't know that macosx 10.5 reads /etc/sysctl.conf anymore but
>> the idea is still there.
>> Oh, after looking I guess it does.
>>
>> What if you need to change kern.maxfilesperproc?
>
> The ports postgresql8{0,1,2,3}-server output this message to the user:
>
> To tweak your DBMS, consider increasing kern.sysv.shmmax\
> 		by adding an increased kern.sysv.shmmax .. to /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> I don't see any other references to sysctl.conf in any ports. I'm
> not really familiar with these kernel options and haven't had
> occasion to need to change them myself so hopefully there will not
> be many ports that need to recommend it.

Oracle and Postgres both have these types of recommendations.
Unfortunately mysql didn't benefit from much tweaking. Mysql is really
built for Linux threads. It suffers on bsd's. Probably Solaris and
Windows two but I don't have much experience to go on.

Dovecot requires knocking down process or bumping up file descriptors.
I think a message should be added to the dovecot port explaining how
to do it.

I've just realize no one has correct spelling or grammar on this list.
How refreshing:)

Oh, and no "top post" nazis either. Hell, I can read backwards if I
have to:)

How would I do a search for sysctl using port?
I have not figured out the "port echo" usage yet but would love to.

//Brad