port install targets

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 16 21:32:01 PST 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 16:58, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> Port mail/dbmail
> Port mail/dbmail-devel
>
> `port dir dbmail`/work/dbmail-2.2.11/configure --help
>
> Fine tuning of the installation directories:
>   --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
>   --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
>   --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
>   --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
>   --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data
> [PREFIX/com]
>   --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
>   --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
>   --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
>   --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
>   --datarootdir=DIR      read-only arch.-independent data root
> [PREFIX/share]
>   --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data
> [DATAROOTDIR]
>   --infodir=DIR          info documentation [DATAROOTDIR/info]
>   --localedir=DIR        locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
>   --mandir=DIR           man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
>   --docdir=DIR           documentation root [DATAROOTDIR/doc/PACKAGE]
>   --htmldir=DIR          html documentation [DOCDIR]
>   --dvidir=DIR           dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
>   --pdfdir=DIR           pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
>   --psdir=DIR            ps documentation [DOCDIR]
>

> Should I make most of the PREFIX/xxx into ${prefix}/dbmail22/xxx?
>
> I seem to see a lot of that in macports.

Where do you see that?

I would say you should not insert an additional directory "dbmail22"
into the hierarchy unless you need to support multiple ports for
multiple versions of the software active simultaneously. But if
you're only talking about dbmail and dbmail-devel, then it is not
expected to be able to use them simultaneously; it is expected for
both to install files to the same places and for only one to be
active simultaneously.