MacPorts 1.7.1

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Feb 18 17:50:40 PST 2009

David Evans wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Has anyone been running the 1.7 branch? Found any problems with it?
>> Should we release MacPorts 1.7.1 soonish? It's been two months since
>> 1.7.0. You know what they say: release early, release often!

The roadmap gives a good idea of what we want to go into 1.7.1, and if
it doesn't, it should. :-)

I was hoping to take care of #16085 for 1.7.1.

>>     - Make dependencies in port upgrade respect variants as specified
>>       (in order of precedence) on command line, latest installed
>>       version, or variants.conf .  (#8221, gwhitney)
>>
> I'd like to make a strong pitch to add this one as without it it is
> impossible to correctly upgrade custom MacPorts installations that
> depend on
> on global variants such as +no_x11 or +system_x11.  Without being able
> to upgrade, the global variants are next to useless.

The next release is going to have to wait a while if the fix for #8221
is going to be in it. It may sound like "just a bugfix", but it changes
a lot of code, and it has not yet been sufficiently debugged.

- Josh