gcc_select confusion

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 23 18:31:39 PST 2009

Neil wrote:
> Should I perhaps open a ticket to standardize it a bit, or are people
> happy with the way things are now?

Standardizing is a good idea. But discussion about the topic should
happen on the mailing list.

> One thought I had, which might make a bit of sense, is to just have a
> 'system' selection.  Simple, intuitive, uniform, and roughly corresponds
> with things like the variant +system_x11.

In case of gcc where the system provides more than one version just
'system' is not sufficient. Also, the preferred gcc is the one from the
system/Xcode/Apple, that's why the versions from MacPorts have the
prefixed names.

Rainer