gcc_select confusion

Neil kngspook at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 19:14:41 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> Neil wrote:
> > Should I perhaps open a ticket to standardize it a bit, or are people
> > happy with the way things are now?
>
> Standardizing is a good idea. But discussion about the topic should
> happen on the mailing list.

Kay.

> > One thought I had, which might make a bit of sense, is to just have a
> > 'system' selection.  Simple, intuitive, uniform, and roughly corresponds
> > with things like the variant +system_x11.
>
> In case of gcc where the system provides more than one version just
> 'system' is not sufficient. Also, the preferred gcc is the one from the
> system/Xcode/Apple, that's why the versions from MacPorts have the
> prefixed names.

On my system, only gcc-4.0 shows up in gcc_select (though in Xcode I have a
selection of 5 different ones); how would I get others to show up in
gcc_select?

I suppose in that case, we could use "-system" (or "-builtin" or "-distrib"
or something else) as a prefix/suffix.

But I feel like it's counter-intuitive to have "python25-apple" be the
built-in/system python, and "gcc40-apple" be something installed by MacPorts
(which confused me for quite some time).  And it seems inconsistent to label
the MP's gcc's "mp-gcc40", but MP's Pythons a prefix-less "python25".

(I suppose that last paragraph was a little redundant...)