Webserver ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 26 03:09:43 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 04:15, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I think our web server ports are a bit of a mess. We have apache,
>> apache2, apache20 and lighttpd, that I know of. They each have their
>> default htdocs and cgi-bin directories in different places:
>>
>> apache: ${prefix}/var/www/data/data (weird), ${prefix}/var/www/cgi-
>> bin
>> apache +apache_layout: ${prefix}/apache/htdocs, ${prefix}/apache/
>> cgi-bin
>> apache2: ${prefix}/apache2/htdocs, ${prefix}/apache2/cgi-bin
>> apache20: ${prefix}/apache20/htdocs, ${prefix}/apache20/cgi-bin
>> lighttpd: /srv/www/htdocs (very weird), no cgi-bin directory defined
>
> /srv is part of the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. Some Linux
> distributions switched from /var/www to /srv/www.

I meant it was weird in that /srv is not part of the MacPorts
hierarchy. But I admit it's not like the port maintainer put that
there; it's just what was in the upstream file. Quite a few changes
need to be made to the default configuration lighttpd provides to
match what MacPorts users expect. I believe there are some tickets on
this already.

>> [...]
>> We have several ports that install into either subdirectories of or
>> directly into ${prefix}/www, such as bugzilla, viewcvs, awstats,
>> gallery, htdig, mediawiki, phpbb, phpmyadmin, squirrelmail and
>> wordpress.
>>
>> I propose:
>>
>> * All web server ports should come with config files set to serve
>> files from the document root ${prefix}/www/htdocs and CGIs from $
>> {prefix}/www/cgi-bin
>
> I would prefer ${prefix}/var/www being used. The path ${prefix}/www is
> just another violation of our mtree layout. Looking in porthier(7), it
> already contains ${prefix}/var/www and denotes it for files being
> served
> by a webserver.

As far as I can see in porthier(7), it mentions ${prefix}/www and
does not mention ${prefix}/var/www.