Webserver ports

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Feb 26 03:46:27 PST 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2009, at 04:15, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> * All web server ports should come with config files set to serve
>>> files from the document root ${prefix}/www/htdocs and CGIs from $
>>> {prefix}/www/cgi-bin
>> I would prefer ${prefix}/var/www being used. The path ${prefix}/www is
>> just another violation of our mtree layout. Looking in porthier(7), it
>> already contains ${prefix}/var/www and denotes it for files being
>> served
>> by a webserver.
>
> As far as I can see in porthier(7), it mentions ${prefix}/www and
> does not mention ${prefix}/var/www.

You are absolutely correct. I should get a bigger terminal, seems like I
was misinterpreting the horizontal alignment... :-/ Excuse my mistake.

So as our hierarchy guidelines already include ${prefix}/www we should
most probably go with it. The usage of this path was unknown to me
before, but I assume it was borrowed from FreeBSD.

Sorry for the noise, but at least we talked about it in case someone
else asks why we aren't using ${prefix}/var/www.

Rainer