macports website

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jul 14 03:40:07 PDT 2009

On 2009-7-14 08:31, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> I'd like to point out that using XHTML was a somewhat divergent path
> from HTML.  With the advent of HTML 5, we find ourselves once again
> returning to the HTML side of things.

On the other hand: XHTML5.

> Interested in this transition, I asked wms how to go about instigating
> the change.  He directed me to ask you for your thoughts on bringing the
> site into HTML 5. So, ticket-filers, hecklers, committers, package
> maintainers, admins, and others:  How do you feel about having the site
> change forward to HTML 5?

Wanting to support IE is the number one reason to use HTML rather than
XHTML. IE has never handled XHTML; if you serve it with the right MIME
type it can't display it and just downloads the file, and if you serve
it as text/html it parses it as invalid HTML. Do we care enough about IE
to warrant any action?

I don't think anyone would complain if you did the work to switch the
site over to HTML, but I don't see nearly enough value in it to do that
work myself.

- Josh