Uninstall not updating state file

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 17 21:57:29 PDT 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 22:36, Mike Alexander wrote:

> Using macports from SVN version r53993, which is pretty much up to
> date, I get an error if I do
>
> port uninstall foo
> port install foo
>
> where foo is any installed port.  The error is
>
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Registry error: foo
> x.y.z_w not registered as installed.
>
> This correct, but irrelevant.  The problem is that the line
> "target: org.macports.install" is not being removed from
> the .macports.foo.state file by uninstall.  Did this ever work?  I
> think I remember it working at some time in the past, but I can't
> find any place in the macports source where it tries to remove that
> line, either in r53993 or r51337 which is the last version I used
> much.  Does anyone have any idea where to look for the bug?

I'm not sure yet that there is a bug -- unless this reproducibly
happens every time with every port. I didn't think "port uninstall"
was supposed to do anything with the state file. If you want the
state file gone, you "port clean" the port. Usually this happens
automatically after install. Did you have a failed install of this
port before? Or do you have autoclean turned off in macports.conf?