livecheck

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jul 23 12:43:32 PDT 2009

Hello, I worked on the memtest port a while back.  I was talking with
the author the other day and after he saw the port, he notices the
livecheck option.

His concern was that of course, it downloads the entire page, and uses
regex to parse out the important bits.  He was willing to create a
current-version.txt file that he maintains, as he was worried about
bandwidth.

I see this as a semi valid concern.  But I also do not see it as a lot
different than a user going to a Web site and manually checking the
version in a browser.

What are fellow port developers opinions on this matter?  I am not
aware of any scheduled and routine hits that live check is going to
make, it is a on user demand feature.

If I have this incorrect, please let me know, as I do feel it is
important to play nice to the developers of software for which ports
are made.