livecheck

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 23 13:01:39 PDT 2009

On Jul 23, 2009, at 14:43, Scott Haneda wrote:

> Hello, I worked on the memtest port a while back.  I was talking
> with the author the other day and after he saw the port, he notices
> the livecheck option.
>
> His concern was that of course, it downloads the entire page, and
> uses regex to parse out the important bits.  He was willing to
> create a current-version.txt file that he maintains, as he was
> worried about bandwidth.
>
> I see this as a semi valid concern.  But I also do not see it as a
> lot different than a user going to a Web site and manually checking
> the version in a browser.
>
> What are fellow port developers opinions on this matter?  I am not
> aware of any scheduled and routine hits that live check is going to
> make, it is a on user demand feature.
>
> If I have this incorrect, please let me know, as I do feel it is
> important to play nice to the developers of software for which
> ports are made.

True, livecheck will only be used when a user types "port livecheck".
Most often this would only be the port maintainer. For example I run
livecheck on the ports I maintain to see if I have to update any of
them.

I try to write my livechecks to use the smallest web page available
that will answer the question. I wish more developers provided a
current-version.txt or something like that. It sure would save on
bandwidth and make things faster.