Allowing more non-maintainer updates

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 24 03:13:59 PDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 16:30, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> I like the idea.
>
> How about we add removing changes that were rolled back previously
> that were accidentally/blindly reinstated?

Is this what you mean?

1. if a port update is committed, but that update inadvertently
undoes changes that were previously committed, we could reinstate
those changes

2. if a port update is committed, but unrelated changes to another
port are inadvertently committed as well, we could undo those
inadvertent changes

I would agree to allowing those changes without prior maintainer
approval.

> adding comments?

Perhaps... We have so few comments in portfiles now. Much of it is
probably self-explanatory but maybe some of it could do with some
documentation.

> We might consider expanding the "hardcoded" section to include
> other items, such as moving ports off of about-to-be abandoned
> packages (e.g., python24) or changes to base (e.g., `default
> parallel_build yes`).

Ah yes, there is of course also /Applications/MacPorts which should
be switched to ${applications_dir}

We should allow adding parallel_build yes or no to any port

And moving ports off of soon-to-be-abandoned ports, yes, that's what
I was thinking of with my mysql3 example.

> We might also consider upgrading PortGroups, if that day ever comes
> to pass.

How do you mean?

The cmake portgroup is new, and we have ports using cmake manually;
do you mean updating such ports to use the cmake portgroup?