How to suggest a package?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jun 4 10:51:01 PDT 2009

Johannes Kastl wrote:
> On 6/4/09 7:32 PM Blair Zajac wrote:
>
>> The best way would be to create the Portfile and any necessary supporting files
>> for it, such as patches, then open a ticket in Trac and post the files.
>
> If I knew how to do that, I would do this. But...

It's not terribly hard.  Read this:

http://guide.macports.org/#development

And if there is a port that does something similar to the one you want, you can
copy your port off of it and modify it.

>> If you
>> just ask for a port to be created without providing the Portfile, then it
>> wouldn't likely happen.
>
> ...as I do not know how to create a Portfile, I just have to hope
> someone else builds one.
>
> Is there a way to contact the maintainer of a portfile directly?

We prefer that people have communication over the mailing list or via Trac.

> I thought it would be nice to have a APP-Package for, say, scribus, like
> there is for gimp. To be able to start it via mouse click. But I didnt
> know how to contact the guy maintaining the scribus port.

You would open a ticket and assign it to the maintainer.

But because MacPorts is an open-source project and in my experience, most people
contribute scratch their own itch and provide the ports that they are interested
in or the features they want.  It's not like people get paid to get stuff done
in here, so the way to get things done is to contribute work yourself.  Or offer
to pay someone :)

Regards,
Blair