How to suggest a package?

Johannes Kastl ojkastl at gmx.de
Thu Jun 4 11:04:31 PDT 2009

Hi there,

On 6/4/09 7:51 PM Blair Zajac wrote:

> It's not terribly hard.  Read this:
>
> http://guide.macports.org/#development
>
> And if there is a port that does something similar to the one you want, you can
> copy your port off of it and modify it.

If I have got time maybe I try to dig into it. But as I do not have too
much experience in packaging it might be difficult. We'll see.

> We prefer that people have communication over the mailing list or via Trac.

By Trac you mean Tickets, right?

> You would open a ticket and assign it to the maintainer.

OK.

> But because MacPorts is an open-source project and in my experience, most people
> contribute scratch their own itch and provide the ports that they are interested
> in or the features they want.  It's not like people get paid to get stuff done
> in here, so the way to get things done is to contribute work yourself.  Or offer
> to pay someone :)

Agreed, but in my experience most people are open to suggestions and
"improvements". If you do not stamp your feet and say "I want this and
that", but rather ask if it was possible.

Regards,
OJ
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too
dark to read.