Is it time to start regression testing yet?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 01:56:23 PDT 2009

--On 9 June 2009 10:17:36 +0200 "C. Florian Ebeling"
<florian.ebeling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Jim Meyer<jim at geekdaily.org> wrote:
>> On 6/8/09 4:56 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll take on the rewriting to PHP this summer if it needs to be done.
>>
>> And I'll volunteer to help with the Rails upkeep if not. =]
>
> Thanks, greately appreciated! Just have look at the github repo. I
> somewhat favor patches over fork/pull workflow, but do as you like.
> Florian

Looks great to me. Some feature requests, from an MacPorts user perspective.

When I'm considering using MacPorts to help me out with a build, I need to
know whether it's going to succeed. The first thing I want to do is search
for a specific port to see whether it will build. So these might be useful:

1. Sort the list alphabetically.
2. Instead of numbering the pages of results, give an alphabetical index.
3. Include a search facility - perhaps it could call "port search", so that
I don't need to know the exact port name.
4. Include a category column, to help me find relevant ports. That might
help me to find the port even if I've got the name wrong, or it might help
me find an alternative solution.

I guess that any of the above might help developers, too. They're more
likely to know the port name that they're looking for, but right now it's
hard to find anything :(

Or, perhaps the results could be integrated at
<http://www.macports.org/ports.php>. Even if a port description simply had
a link to the relevant page on Florian's list. Ideally, behind some build
status icon.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex