[52497] trunk/dports/gnome/liboobs/Portfile

David Evans devans at macports.org
Wed Jun 17 13:03:47 PDT 2009

nox wrote:
> Le 17 juin 09 à 21:09, Joshua Root a écrit :
>
>> On 2009-6-18 05:07, nox wrote:
>>> So liboobs does not depend anymore on glib2 and gettext?
>>> Or did you just remove them because dbus-glib depends on them? If this
>>> is the answer, you should not do that.
>>
>> Why not? If every gnome component declared a dependency on everything it
>> links against, the list would be huge.
>>
>> - Josh
>
> I agree with you in the case where it just links against it because
> one of its dependencies need it.
> But if the port checks explicitely for a library in its configure
> script or uses one of its functions
> in the sources, then it should be listed as a dependency.

I agree with Josh on this.  The list of redundant dependencies is huge
as it it.

There's really no need to declare this dependency when it is clear
dbus-glib depends on it and that isn't likely to
change soon.  In addition, it helps to reduce  the number of instances
where it is necessary to use a path dependency
to enable the use of glib2-devel, simplifying over-all port maintenance.

Similarly, I advocate not declaring pango or cairo (or glib2 for that
matter) if gtk2 is a dependency on similar grounds.
Another good example is gettext which is used by almost every gtk
dependent and declared in many and is declared as a dependency in glib2.

I think your rule is a bit too strong.  If the configure test is for the
existence per se of a particular dependency then I agree it should be
included.  But in this case the test is not to see if glib2 exists but
to see if it satisfies a certain minimum version requirement which we
satisfy.

In any case, if you really feel strongly about this particular case,
please feel free to change it.

Dave