[52497] trunk/dports/gnome/liboobs/Portfile

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Jun 17 13:10:17 PDT 2009

David Evans wrote:
> nox wrote:

>>> Why not? If every gnome component declared a dependency on everything it
>>> links against, the list would be huge.
>>>
>>> - Josh
>>
>> I agree with you in the case where it just links against it because
>> one of its dependencies need it.
>> But if the port checks explicitely for a library in its configure
>> script or uses one of its functions
>> in the sources, then it should be listed as a dependency.

> I agree with Josh on this.  The list of redundant dependencies is huge
> as it it.
>
> There's really no need to declare this dependency when it is clear
> dbus-glib depends on it and that isn't likely to
> change soon.  In addition, it helps to reduce  the number of instances
> where it is necessary to use a path dependency
> to enable the use of glib2-devel, simplifying over-all port maintenance.
> Similarly, I advocate not declaring pango or cairo (or glib2 for that
> matter) if gtk2 is a dependency on similar grounds.
> Another good example is gettext which is used by almost every gtk
> dependent and declared in many and is declared as a dependency in glib2.
>
> I think your rule is a bit too strong.  If the configure test is for the
> existence per se of a particular dependency then I agree it should be
> included.  But in this case the test is not to see if glib2 exists but
> to see if it satisfies a certain minimum version requirement which we
> satisfy.
>
> In any case, if you really feel strongly about this particular case,
> please feel free to change it.

I'm with Dave on this one.

We recently ran into this with serf and its dependence upon apr and apr-util,
which pulls in SQLite, PostgreSQL and BerkeleyDB dependencies depending upon the
variants it was built with.  Having to have serf have the same variants as apr
and apr-util just to get those port dependencies isn't something I wanted to
manage, so I just kept the dependencies on apr and apr-util.

Blair