[52497] trunk/dports/gnome/liboobs/Portfile

David Evans devans at macports.org
Wed Jun 17 14:13:20 PDT 2009

Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2009, at 4:25 PM, David Evans wrote:
>
>> The total number of entries in the tree is 2520790 but there are only
>> 321 unique ports involved.  Port glib2 alone appears 14023 times.
>>
>> So there's a lot of overkill going on here.
>
> I'd have to argue that if you can figure out the unique dependencies
> then so can MacPorts.  How can that be overkill?  The dependencies
> listed in a portfile are up to the maintainer to maintain. If they
> don't feel burdened by the extraneous ports -- well, I find figuring
> out what's already handled just as bothersome -- it really shouldn't
> matter.

Good point.  I really don't spend a lot of time looking for the minimal
set of dependencies either.  As you say, as long as a port builds
properly, each
maintainer should be able to deal with it in a way he that makes him
feel comfortable.  After all, this is a volunteer affair and there's
plenty of work
to go around without manufacturing more.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

Dave