[53018] trunk/dports/lang/python31/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 28 15:07:51 PDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 17:01, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>>> Should python31a1 not have been a devel package?
>>
>> The way it seems to be right now is:
>>
>> If there's only a single port (cairo, pango, graphviz) and you
>> want to have a port for the next not-yet-released version, then
>> you use the -devel suffix (cairo-devel, pango-devel, graphviz-devel).
>>
>> But if there are multiple versions of the port for each major
>> version of the software (python*, gcc*), then you can just
>> introduce the next major version portfile and let it mature from
>> development snapshots to alpha to beta to release candidate to
>> final releases.
>
> Ah, then might I enquire why there was an "a1" in version instead
> of just in distfile?

The version of the software *was* "3.1a1" (the first alpha release of
3.1). Now the final version has been released so now the version is
just "3.1". It is the version numbering scheme the developers of
Python are using, so it is proper for the port to use the same
convention.

The name of the port was and is python31.